Saturday, January 29, 2005

Tooling up for a rural life

In readiness for the maintenance of the 2 acre garden in France, I am gradually acquiring new tools. Yesterday I became the proud owner of a Stihl Chainsaw, which is a petrol driven gadget. I'll be using it to reduce the size of the hundreds of logs that are already under cover, being dried out. I'll be using them as firewood, as we have a grand log fire in the dining room.
I already have a Stihl petrol driven Strimmer that has already been put to good use clearing all the nettles.
I've been reading the manual for the chainsaw very carefully. It describes the awful possibility of the chainsaw kicking back when the tip of the saw comes into contact with the wood. The chainsaw will fly upwards, and possibly strike one's head. A fatality is inevitable. Other reactive forces are called "pushback" and "pull-in", and all are dreadful in their outcome. Needless to say I will study the techniques required very fully before firing up the equipment.

2 comments:

David Sefton said...

Well, I know it must seem hard to believe, considering that my efforts in England have been paltry, but I am looking forward to making it my main recreation.

Mark said...

From what I have heard, water wings ae going to be required for any river strimming..!