Friday, March 11, 2005

Registering the MG TF


MG TF Posted by Hello
We went to the insurance company Groupama to get a quote for the MG. As the MG was already insured through them in England I thought the rates might be cheaper. There I was paying £302 per annum, with a 65% no claims discount. First of all we were told that the car had to be registered with French plates, and that the no claims discount would carry on increasing up to 13 years' worth of accident free motoring. We scurried into Poitiers, and managed to register the car in an hour and a half - it cost 238 Euros. I am now the proud owner of French plates! I had already taken the precaution of getting in England the Certicate of Conformity from MG Rover, that cost £120. This provides evidence throughout the EU that the car meets European standards. We went back to Groupama with the registration certificate, and as I could only show a period of 6 years' of unblemished driving, I was quoted 838 Euros. If I can get proof of another 7 years I can get it reduced to 512 Euros. I can't remember the last time I made a claim, so I am hopeful that tracking back through the various insurance companies I was covered by will dig up the evidence I need. At the same time I got House and Contents insurance with the same company for 278 Euros. Now that is a bargain compared with England.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too late now, but expat English friends in Normandy know a man who gets you insurance whilst retaining your English plates.
Ah well - remember to drive on the right!