Saturday, January 14, 2006

The MG TF is back

I did a very silly thing the other day. I inadvertently clipped the edge of a middle island curbing on the road to Poitiers. When I stopped and looked at the tyres I could see that the front one had suffered damage, but was still inflated. I decided to immediately return to Lavausseau. On the way back I noticed there was some vibration in the steering, stopped the car, and saw that the rear tyre was flat. I checked my mobile phone and realised the battery was flat too. So there was no alternative but to walk home - a distance of 5 kilometres. It was 5.00pm, and getting dark. I set off as briskly as I could. There were no pavements on the road, so I had to take care to step onto the verge every time a car came past. Fortunately, the rain was holding off, so I didn't get soaked. When I got home I arranged for the insurers to organise a pickup truck to take the car to a local garage. On this car the tyres at the front and back are different in size. I was only able to get another Goodyear Eagle for the back, but not the front. This was because Goodyear have stopped manufacturing that size. So I had to buy 4 tyres of a different make to ensure they were all compatible. The cost ended up at 840€. I couldn't claim from the insurance as the excess is 300€, and my no claims discount of 15 years status would have dropped to zero. Just because of a momentary lapse in concentration.

No comments: