Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Professor Sheila Wolfendale 1939-2006

My dear sister died this morning from bronchial pneumonia, days afer finishing her chemotherapy sessions. She was diagnosed with cancer in November 05, so I am shocked that she should die so soon.
Sheila (BA MSc PhD CPsychol FBPsS) was due to retire on this very day. After completing her Psychology Degree at the University of Hull, Sheila became a teacher in a primary school and then worked as an Educational Psychologist in several Local Education Authorities. She also lectured in a College of Education and completed a Masters Degree in Child Development at London University. She became Programme Leader of Doctorate in Educational Psychology in 1981, and had a professorship conferred in 1988. Her PhD was awarded for the breadth and coherence of her published works. She has singly, co-authored, edited and co-edited a wide range of books, and is also the author of many chapters, articles, reports, booklets, manuals, in the areas of special educational needs, parental participation, assessment, early-years education and provision. Sheila acted as consultant on these topics in a number of other countries. Tomorrow was to be her first day of retirement! She would probably have remained just as busy in her retirement with her writing and keynote speeches. Just look her up on Google. There are 655 entries under her name. As you can imagine, I am so proud of her achievements, and very distressed at her death. Her funeral is next Wednesday, 8th February
Gosh, I'll miss my beloved sister.
I offer my love and support to her dear husband, Trevor, and her children, Daniel and Rachel.
I don't yet know what form of funeral there will be, or when it might take place, but Amanda and I will be back in England to attend it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very sorry to encounter such tragic news. Please accept the condolences of myself and Akhtar.

Best regards,

Borzou