Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Driving Licence

I decided I should apply for a new licence that has a photograph in a credit card sized format. But what UK address should I use? I knew I could not reapply with my old one, and wondered what the options were for UK citizens living abroad. I emailed the DVLA in Swansea to find out, and got the following reply:
"It is accepted that drivers who move to another part of the EC/EEA could be holding driving licences showing an incorrect address. This is permissible under the terms of the EC Directive on Driving Licences."
So I have applied for the licence with one of my son's address in Kent. The good news is that an application due to a change of address is free of charges. The only problem is that I had to send in my passport as proof of identity, and feel nervous without it until it is returned.

No comments: