Friday, March 11, 2011

New car registration

It took a few weeks, and a lot of money, but I finally managed to register my car in France. It required a number of documents:

1. A Certificate of Conformity. This is produced by the car manufacturer to vouch that the car was made in accordance with European standards. As MG Rover is now defunct, I bought it through a Company based in Slovakia. The operation seems to be perfectly legal, but it cost 262.80 Euros - a not totally dissimilar amount that I paid to MG Rover itself for my previous car. Why it is necessary, when a blanket assurance that all its cars meet the EU requirements, thereby making individual certificates unnecessary, I do not know.
2. A Controle Technique. This is similar to the UK's MOT certificate, and a thoroughly good thing. It cost me 60 Euros.
3. A VAT approval. This is given by the French Tax Authorities, after examining the VAT invoice from the Vendor. This costs nothing!

After approving these documents at the Prefecture, I paid 262.50 Euros for the Carte Grise. This is the Vehicle Document, and certifies me as the owner.

I then bought the Number Plates at a Shoe Repair shop for 25 Euros, plus a riveting kit for 2.40 Euros. And I was ready for the installation, which was kindly done by my friend Robin.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Lavausseau

No comments: