Sunday, October 25, 2015

The perils of car buying

I found a 2003 Mercedes A Class and had an AA inspection for £172. They gave it a clean bill of health, so I bought it the next day. When we arrived home we found the NSR door couldn’t lock, even though the AA report said they were all satisfactory. I am now battling to have the cost of the lock replacement of £240 repaid by the AA. They have insisted the lock worked on Monday when they checked, and have offered the cost of the inspection to be reimbursed as a goodwill gesture. I am insisting there is absolutely no goodwill involved and want the £240. So there is a stand-off. They have even said that they will not enter into further correspondence. The AA Report actually described the "Door locks/operation" as satisfactory 

I should explain that the doors close with automatic central door locking. The door in question had its knob permanently down, so it was only obvious when we tested the door handles after locking with the key. So I am quite sure the Trader I bought it from had never noticed there was a problem - as he asserts, of course. The garage that replaced the lock discovered that the wire attached to the knob had severed at the junction with the vacuum unit that activates the mechanism. So it could not have occurred whilst it was not in use.

The issue is still unresolved, and I will report later developments.

No comments: